Recently I made this cardigan for Talbot (pattern here), and I just loved how easy it was to knit up and how lovely it looks on her. I knew I just had to make another for her. We popped into Spotlight and she picked out her own yarn, and then it was knit, knit, knit!
Being on holidays helped me get it done quite quickly, although I didn’t want to bring extra bits and pieces with me, so I had to wait until we got home to darn in the ends and add the buttons – which, by the way, I am loving! I’m not too good with the button/yarn matching, but I loved the colour of these beauties and they were a little bit different, and I’m really pleased with how they look. They’re a Buetron button, which you can get from Spotlight and Lincraft, and probably lots of other places, too.
You can see that I’ve added the extra rows of garter at the end to increase the length of the cardi, and I’m so glad I did. I did the last cardi with an 8-ply on a 5.00mm needle (the pattern calls for 10-ply on 5.00mm needles), and I felt that it was a little bit big, so I took a risk and knitted this one on a 4.00mm needle (still an 8-ply). The difference of the size of cardies between the needles sizes is really obvious, and had I not added the extra rows, I think it would’ve been a bit short. It’s been interesting to observe the difference, especially as I have never swatched or paid much attention to sizing. Talbot is really small for her age and most of what I make in her age size is far too big, so I usually go down a size, and I was interested to see whether changing my needle size would help with the fit. I think she’ll comfortably get through the winter with this cardi, and probably through the spring as well, as long as I don’t shrink it!