It’s called a Snappy Toddler Top, and it’s a freebie pattern by Pretty Prudent. I LOVE IT! I can’t believe it actually turned out like the picture! Woot! And how gorgeous is this fabric? Perfect for spring/summer!
This was a bit of a challenge for me, as I had to learn some new tricks (I’m a novice seamstress who works mostly with straight lines), but even with all the googling in between, I still managed to sew it up in just a couple of hours. The tutorial is really detailed with lots of pictures to guide you step by step, and I think I managed to find my way through it pretty well!
I learned how to sew on a bias binding to make the sleeves nice (thanks to this awesome tute), I learned how to baste and gather, and I learned how to add snaps. That was the most frustrating part, because I bought a brand new set of snap pliers a month ago, ripped open the packet to make this top and the pliers aren’t actually aligned properly. I’ll have to try and find the receipt, but since it was over a month ago, I doubt I will get anywhere with exchanging it. At least they weren’t expensive…
There’s just one tiny, insignificant detail… It doesn’t fit. Now, I was warned that most of the time when the top doesn’t fit, it’s because you haven’t printed off the pattern properly… Yeah… About that… Luckily, I have a smaller niece, so I’m hoping it will fit her and still get some wear. Plus now I’ll be super speedy when I make a bigger one for Talbot. All part of the learning process. I’m counting it a success.