Get to know me. I was nominated for a Liebster award by the amazing Tee, at beachbodybliss. She writes a great blog about all things fitness, so make sure you go and check her out.
The Liebster award is a little way to link and get to know newish and smallish bloggers with the world. You give 11 facts about yourself, answer 11 questions set by your nominator, and then nominate the next few bloggers and set 11 questions for them. They don’t have to participate if they don’t want to, but it is fun way to connect with your readers and with others in the blogosphere. If you want to see more, just google “Liebster award” and it will pop up with lots and lots of blogs.
Here are my 11 random facts…
- I hate when people don’t use their indicators when they drive.
- Since I’ve been married, we have moved house five times, including a stint at my parents’ place awaiting Talbot’s homecoming.
- Most of my hair is white. It started changing colour in the ninth grade.
- I hate mushrooms. Their texture is abhorent to me.
- My dream job is to be an obstetrician. There’s nothing like babies being grown and delivered, and while I know there would be terrible days, I think it would be amazing to be part of that magical moment.
- I can’t stand it when ice-cream melts on my desserts.
- My favourite book series as a kid was the Babysitter’s Club.
- I (still) love Hanson.
- I drink tea all day long.
- I only started wearing make-up on a regular basis this year.
- I have a Masters degree in Orthoptics and topped my class.
Here are the 11 questions set by Tee…
1.What/who inspires you in life? My family, most of all. I have crazy parents who have done all sorts of amazing things including career changes, tertiary studies and exchange programs in their adulthood, as well as amazingly talented family members (my huband, my sisters and their husbands) who just seem to have the knack for the things they do. It makes me want to try hard (lol) to keep up. I’ve had my own time with Uni and professional success, for sure, but right now I really just want to succeed at being a stay at home mum and find a way to earn an income doing that.
2. Have you ever though about ditching your blog, if so, why? Yes, for sure. I got a pretty nasty comment once and it really upset me. I was putting myself out there and it made me feel terrible. Then I realised that I don’t have to accept, or believe, anything anyone says about my work. There are times when I wonder how to keep up with it all, but then I remember why I’m working so hard with this blog – it’s to stay home and be there when Talbot has her episodes, because I’m almost certain that her “fix it” surgery is not the last one she has (I haven’t written a real post about her yet, but this one has a few details about her medical condition).
3. Do you exercise regularly? I wish the answer was yes… It’s not. Pre-pregnancy, I was doing two or three park fitness sessions a week, but after I fell pregnant again it was an effort just to walk up and down the stairs with my health, so there was no way I could manage to keep up the fitness. Since then I really haven’t got back into it. Tee is really inspiring, as is Beanie (who runs 5km on a Saturday morning – he’s 5!) and one day I actually will put on some trainers and run.
4. What is your favorite hobby? I dabble in this and that, but at the moment it’s a toss up between knitting and baking. I don’t get a lot of hobby time at the moment! What I really wish I had more time for is sewing.
5. Where is the last place you traveled? School…. Haha. On a holiday(ish)? Adelaide, to see my family and celebrate my Uncle and Aunty’s birthdays with a spot of croquet. Really.
6. What is the one word that best describes yourself? I spent a lot of time thinking about this. It comes down to these words: vanilla – because I’m a bit plain, old-fashioned and even a tad daggy; and scattered – I don’t know if it’s too harsh a self-assessment, but I like to think I’m really good at multi-tasking, but I’m actually hopeless. There are so many things I want to do, but I just don’t have time to juggle it all. I think I get excited about doing all sorts of things, and need to take a bit of a reality check.
7. Do you have any pets (names and breed)? Just three kids – their real names are Logan, Ava and Charlotte, but here they’re known by their in-utero nicknames: Beanie, Talbot and Edgar. They’re all human, but sometimes they don’t act like it.
8. Favourite food? Bread. Pasta. Cheese. Chocolate. All really good for my health. I do love fresh apricots and good mexican food, too.
9. Do you enjoy running and why? I wish. I used to run on the treadmill pre-kids, and enjoyed that, but I haven’t got back to it six years on. I often dream that I’m running marathons and I’m awesome at it and don’t get puffed out. It’s the best. I think that’s more a dream about Isaiah 40:31 than actual running, but it would still be cool if I could physically run like that.
10. How long have you been blogging? I started blogging about a year ago from my couch. I had another hyperemesis riddled pregnancy, and blogging gave me a bit of an outlet to do something “me”, something creative, something interesting, since I couldn’t manage much physically.
11. What is the best part about having your blog? I run it. I set the pace and not the other way around. This blog is the start of what I hope will become an extra income for my family. There are all sorts of rules and recommendations about what good bloggers do (like posting the same things at the same times). That just doesn’t work for me. It’s tedious. The blog is all me. A little scattered maybe, but I like it that way. It’s all the things that I’m interested in, and I know if I’m interested in it, there’s bound to be others that enjoy it too.
Here are my 11 questions…
- If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
- Are you a minimalist or a collector?
- What do you do if you have a spare hour to yourself?
- What is your must-have item of clothing?
- What is your favourite colour?
- How long have you been blogging for?
- Who is the blogger that inspired you to start blogging? (mine is Corrie of retromummy)
- What is your favourite song?
- What is your favourite food?
- What was your best age, and why?
- Are you indoorsy or outdoorsy?
Lacey, of Perks of being a J.A.P., a lifestyle blog of a food-loving New Yorker.
Patty, of I am Zoe Watson, a new blog about the truer than true side of parenting – I often find myself laughing and nodding along here.
Michelle, of Falafel and the Bee, a great blog about all things craft.
Make sure you check out their fantastic blogs!